Your dog's fur is essential to their health and happiness. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to achieve that delightful shine. Dietary and lifestyle changes can significantly impact your pup, and they'll enjoy the tasty snacks you give them to improve their health. Learn how to make a dog's coat shiny and why it's important.
The Importance of a Shiny Dog Coat
A healthy coat equals a healthy dog, as it lets you know your pup is comfortable and protected. It provides insulation and allows hair follicles to move, regulating body temperature. When it's cold, the follicles move together to keep your dog warm, and during the warm months, air flows through the loose hairs to cool them down.
Additionally, their skin and coat protect them from environmental elements like dirt and sun, plus other potential harms.
How to Improve a Dog's Coat and Skin
Now that you understand the importance of a healthy coat, it's time to ensure your furry friend is happy and healthy. Try these tips for achieving that beautiful coat shine for dogs:
- Use supplements: Supplements are easy to implement into your pup's routine. LuckyTail's Skin + Coat Supplement Chews provide itch relief, hydrate the skin and produce a silkier and shinier coat. Active ingredients like biotin and flaxseed oil ensure your dog obtains all the needed nutrients.
- Give them a soothing bath: An oatmeal bath can relieve itchy skin. Grind oatmeal in a food processor, and add the powder to a lukewarm bath. This may not address deeper skin issues but can provide short-term relief.
- Massage your pup with oil: Pamper your pup with oils like CBD or coconut oil to address problem spots and promote hair and skin hydration. Add these oils to your dog's shampoo or apply them directly to affected areas.
- Ensure they get enough protein: A lack of protein can lead to hair loss in pups, and their coats may become brittle, dry or dull. Consult your vet on how much protein your dog needs based on size.
- Fight against pests: Ticks and fleas irritate your dog's skin and carry diseases like Lyme disease. Avoiding these pests is crucial to your pup's overall health and prevents them from impacting your dog's coat or skin.
- Add omega-3 to their diet: This fatty acid can provide various benefits, including boosting the immune system and fighting against hair loss and dry skin. You can find supplements with this ingredient or add more fish oil, flaxseed oil or fish to your dog's diet.
7 Supplements/Ingredients to Help Dogs' Skin and Coat
All dogs need healthy coats and skin for protection from chemicals, environmental factors and other elements that can harm them. A healthy coat also regulates your dog's temperature by providing insulation. The hair follicles on a healthy coat can come close together for warmth or loosen to allow cool airflow.
Keeping your dog's skin and coat healthy is essential, as several conditions can impact them. Check out the best skin and coat supplements for dogs to ensure your pet's health.
1. Skin + Coat Supplement Chews
LuckyTail Skin + Coat Supplement Chews provide itch relief and moisturizing qualities. These dog supplements for a healthy coat offer nourishment while improving skin and fur. Use these supplements to soothe allergies in your pup and promote a glossy, soft coat. Keeping your dog's coat hydrated also keeps them scratching and shedding less.
Biotin, also known as vitamin H or B7, is part of the B-complex vitamin group. People often use biotin to strengthen their hair and nails, and you can ensure a healthy coat for your pup by integrating this nutrient into their diet. Fight itchiness and dryness by giving your pup chews or capsules. Along with helping issues like dermatitis, this vitamin may prevent hair loss.
3. Vitamin A
Vitamin A is an essential fat-soluble vitamin for skin and coats, as it can help some skin conditions. You can find supplements with vitamin A or feed your pup foods like carrots, kale, fish, egg yolks or fish liver oil. However, monitoring the amount of vitamin A you provide your dog is crucial because too much can lead to joint pain or dehydration and potentially harm their blood vessels.
4. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Dog coat supplements with omega-3 fatty acids can boost cell structures and provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that protect your dog from outside elements. Omega-3 moisturizes the skin to prevent dandruff, reduce shedding and ease itchiness. Fatty acids can also alleviate allergy symptoms that can cause skin or coat damage from scratching or biting.
Zinc is a mineral that can contribute to your pup's overall skin health. Zinc reduces inflammation and supports wound-healing processes, making it easier for your pup to recover from bothersome spots. This mineral also acts as an antioxidant and fights diseases that could cause skin or coat irritation.
Biotin, or vitamin H, is one of the best dog vitamins for skin. Many people use biotin to boost hair and nail growth, and furry friends can see similar results. Enough biotin can prevent a dull coat, hair loss and conditions such as dermatitis. Additionally, this vitamin keeps your furry friend energetic and helps senior dogs maintain muscle mass during the aging process.
7. Vitamin E
This vitamin is excellent for making your dog's coat shine. Vitamin E is a direct skin and fur nutrient and defends against oxidative damage. A vitamin E deficiency can lead to dry skin, skin lesions and dandruff. Along with providing essential nutrients, this vitamin can soothe the skin.
Some supplements may offer vitamin E from ingredients like coconut oil, which also provides vitamins C and A. Coconut oil can reduce itchiness, improve the immune system, boost energy and act as an allergy reliever while producing a shinier coat.
Improve Your Pup's Skin and Coat With LuckyTail
Keeping your pet happy and healthy is our mission at LuckyTail. Our team works with leading professionals to develop innovative products and deliver the best care for furry friends. We offer vet-approved, human-grade and all-natural pet chews to solve numerous issues. If you're looking for a trusted supplement for your pup's coat, try LuckyTail's Skin + Coat Chews.